NFU Cymru is passionate about maintaining and enhancing water quality in Wales. Farmers take their environmental responsibility very seriously and we recognise that one incident of pollution is one too many. There are a range of factors that influence water quality in Wales and the Water Framework Directive investigations show that agricultural practices are contributing to just under 15% of failures. NFU Cymru, therefore, recognises the role that farmers have to play in contributing to improved water quality in the years ahead – that is why the union is putting considerable resource into voluntary measures.
The farmer led approach to nutrient management programme
The aim of the programme is to design a blue print for Welsh agriculture to demonstrate improvements in water quality by enabling farmers to utilise their on farm nutrient assets more accurately and efficiently. The project explores options to develop a nationwide farmer led approach, reducing risk of future failure by delivering;
- water quality improvements by reducing nutrient enrichments to water courses caused by N, P, and soil particles
- Whole industry engagement to assist in the design and delivery of the ‘land management programme’ and best practice in farming
- Awareness raising, design and deliver business efficiencies
- Improved data collection on impacts affecting water quality / quantity
- Improve business efficiencies and resilience
The project is funded by NFU Cymru and NRW and is overseen by two key stakeholder groups; the project steering board (NFU Cymru, FUW, Dwr Cymru Welsh Water, with advisory support from Welsh Government and NRW) and the water quality task and finish group (NFU Cymru members from all sectors across Wales).
This page is a hub for all water quality and nutrient management work but if you would like to contact the Project Manager please email bG9ybmEuZGF2aXNAbmZ1Lm9yZy51aw==
- AHDB - great soils
- Water Watch Wales - Natural Resources Wales
- Farming Connect - clean water
- Code of Good Agricultural Practice -Welsh Government