Key reminders and dates for your diary - October 2019

Welsh farmland - resized for web_50124

Farming Wales spoke to Rita Jones, of the Welsh Government's Farm Liaison Service, to highlight the key reminders and some important dates to look out for...

Key dates

30th September - Glastir Woodland Creation     Expression of Interest widow opens

11th October - Sustainable Production Grant Expression of Interest window closes

15th October - Food and Drink consultation closes

30th October - Sustainable Farming and our Land consultation closes

Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) 2019 Support Scheme

The Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs has announced the launch of a BPS 2019 Support Scheme due to the uncertainties surrounding the United Kingdom leaving the European Union.

As in 2018 with the BPS Loan Scheme, farm businesses will need to apply for the BPS 2019 Support Scheme. Rural Payments Wales (RPW) will provide further details and make an online application available in October.

The 2019 BPS Support Scheme will pay a loan of up to 90% of an individual business’ anticipated BPS 2019 claim value.  Subject to individual farm businesses meeting the necessary terms and conditions of the support scheme, payment will be made to those claimants whose BPS 2019 claims have not been validated by the beginning of December.

Glastir Advanced / Glastir Commons / Glastir Organic contract renewals

Customers whose contracts expire 31st December 2019 will be offered a contract renewal to 2021 in October. The contract will be offered via your RPW Online account, you must log in and either accept or decline this offer via your online account. Customers are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.

Rural Payments Wales (RPW) Appointments

RPW have now introduced an appointment system for digital assistance and

enquiry handling for anyone wishing to visit the regional offices.

Appointments can only be booked via the RPW Customer Contact Centre, who are also there to offer front line help and support with all enquiries

Rural Payments Wales (RPW) Digital

RPW letters and documents will only be issued electronically via the customer contact messages on RPW Online. It is therefore vital that all businesses access their online accounts on a regular basis

Anyone wishing to receive a hard copy letter can request a copy from the RPW Customer Contact Centre.

Time to Act - Deadline Approaching for Previous Exempt Water Abstractors

If you take more than 20 cubic meters (4,400 gallons) per day from a surface or groundwater source like a river, a well or a borehole you are likely to need a transitional licence and need to act NOW.

If you do not apply NOW:

•You will not benefit from a temporary streamlined application process designed to make applications cheaper and easier for most applicants;

•You will lose your right to abstract water from 1st January 2020.

If you do not submit a valid application by 31st December 2019 and continue abstraction post this date then you will be committing a criminal offence for which NRW may take enforcement action against you (including prosecution).

Application forms and further information can be found on Natural Resources Wales’ (NRW) website in the ‘Permits and Permissions’ section ( or you can contact NRW on 0300 065 3000 and ask for the Water Resources Permitting Team.

Register farm waste activity

All farmers who manage waste need to register or renew their waste exemptions with Natural Resources Wales (NRW) in the next few months. Please visit the Natural Resources Wales website for further information.

Bovine Electronic Identification – update

As part of new EU regulations, Bovine Electronic Identification (EID) is being introduced to the UK and this will be phased-in for Wales over the next few years. The Welsh Government will consult on the roll out of Bovine EID and a proposed date will be announced following consultation and industry approval. In the meantime, please continue to follow the double tagging requirements for cattle. Only order conventional tags (not EID) and please only order enough ear tags for one year. Any unused ear tags must be kept securely.

What to do if you find a dead badger

If you find a dead badger, you should report it, giving the location of the badger:

•phone: 0808 1695110

•e-mail: YmFkZ2VyQGJmZC53YWxls


Preparing Wales to leave the EU

This website sets out advice for citizens, organisations and sectors across Wales about the steps that need to be taken to prepare to leave the EU and will be updated regularly.

Gwlad e-newsletter

To keep informed and up to date with the latest agriculture news and developments from Welsh Government sign up to receive the Gwlad e-newsletter. You can do this at

Last edited: 09:17 on 25 September 2019

Share this story:

© NFU Cymru 2020