The NFU has developed the following asks of retailers in light of the severe price cuts affecting British beef farmers:
- The formulation of an intense and co-ordinated period of product promotion and innovation by retailers and processors to help demand for safe, high-quality, fully traceable Red Tractor beef.
- All retailers and food service business must ensure their marketing on origin and sourcing is clear at the point of sale.
The NFU's food chain team has written to all retailers outlining industry concerns regarding the downward pressure on the current beef price. Members of the Welsh livestock board also met retailers at the Royal Welsh Show.
More from the NFU:
- UK farming unions address current beef price crisis
- How is the NFU representing you to the food industry? Find out more about the NFU's retailer engagement work throughout the year.
- What does the new-look government mean for British farming?