Livestock Markets have an important role to play in maintaining trade and the food chain.
However it is essential to minimisie social contact and making sure robust hygiene precautions are in place, where people do have to come together, and facilitating efficient supply of livestock into the food chain through purchase systems and assembly points.
This is a copy of a letter that was sent out by the Livestock Auctioneers Association to their members on 20th October.
You will be aware that the Welsh Minister has announced the introduction of a fire break lock-down for all of Wales, starting at 6pm on Friday 23rd October until Monday 9th November.
This fire break lockdown generally reflects the lockdown conditions applied in March. Essential businesses are permitted to continue trading – This includes livestock markets. Buyers and sellers are still permitted to travel to your markets to sell and buy stock, including from England.
Livestock markets can continue in business as an essential part of the food supply industry. However, during this fire break lockdown period:
- Non livestock sales must stop – on farm sales, machinery sales, fur & feather, equine sales Etc.
- Mart canteens must revert to a takeaway service only – no tabled seating
- Attendance at sales should be restricted to one person per business/household
- The number of people attending livestock sales must be reduced to the minimum possible
Although it is not a Welsh Government requirement of this lockdown, the LAA recommends that where possible members apply a drop and go policy, to ensure that the number of people attending markets is reduced to as low a level as is possible.
The LAA appreciates that breeding sales can not operate under a drop and go system and we are not asking you to do so, but it is important that we play our part in mitigating the risk of Covid-19 spread and safeguarding the health of the nation.
Members are reminded that:
- Market operators must maintain a full attendance record of all people entering the site
- Social Distancing must be applied at all times
- Face Coverings must be worn by everyone attending the site, except for medical or Health and Safety reasons.
- Hand washing facilities must be available for everyone to use